Thursday 18 September 2014

The Child's Elephant and Awful Auntie


Over the holidays one of the books I read was this book. The Childs Elephant. This book was nominated for the 2014 Carnegie book awards. Although it didn't win, (The Bunker Diary by Kevin Brooks did in fact, for more information click here) I thought that it was a great book well worthy of winning the award.  The blurb of the book says. When a baby elephant is left orphaned on the African savannah, Bat, a young herdsboy, takes her home and cares for her. But Bat's grandmother knows that Meya cannot stay with them for ever - the call of the wild will always be sounding in her soul.
And there are rumours borne on the wind; frightening stories of kidnapping and suffering and war. Bat and his closest friend, Muka, are catapulted into a new life of unimaginable terror. Now memories of their village world feel so far away. Will the bond between elephant and child remain strong enough to save them?
A thrilling new novel which tells a heartbreakingly life-like tale.

And I must say that I agree. The book has a slow pace but if you push yourself and keep on reading you will see that you are rewarded. This is a touching and exciting book which leaves you wanting to know what happens next. Unlike some books I have read, this book finishes satisfyingly and leaves you knowing everything you want to know and happy to know that the book ends the way it does. I also like the fact that the book is two stories in one. I won't say much more so as not to ruin the plot but what I can say is that it all fits together perfectly and the two stories seem different at first but, as the book progresses, they start slowly weaving together. Things happen when you least expect them too. Things that you never expected happen. And when you think you know pretty well what is going to happen, something completely different happens. This is a brilliant read and I can't reccomend it enough.

Awful Auntie
I am very excited about the upcoming David Walliams book which is releasing on the 25th of September. Not much has been said abouth the story but so far I know this. Aunt Alberta is on a mission to cheat the young Lady Stella Saxby out of her inheritance – Saxby Hall. But with    mischievous and irrepressible Soot, the cockney ghost of a chimney sweep, alongside her Stella is determined to fight back… And sometimes a special friend, however different, is all you need to win  through. I plan to read this as soon as possible.
The cover of the book

3 comments:

  1. I love that book it is really good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just ordered this book & am looking forward to reading it when it arrives!

    ReplyDelete